Road Haulage, Tippers & Tipper Hire. Suppliers Of Aggregates, Stone, Top Soil & Tarmac To Both Trade & Public.

 

'C & W Knight'
The Story So Far...


The Company was founded in 1886 by A. J. Knight with a horse and cart called "The Banbury Cart". This went to Banbury each week on Mondays and Thursdays collecting goods for the local village folk. "A. J.", as he was affectionately known throughout the area, also hauled ironstone from the Dassett Hills to the surrounding area with his horse and cart. Whilst delivering stone to the school at Northend he met the local grocers daughter Emma Harrison. They married in 1894 and had a family of seven children, five daughters and two sons.

A. J. soon acquired other horses and equipment and began employing men to work for him. Some of this work was for the Warwickshire County Council collecting road making materials, brought in on barges, from the canal wharf's at Napton-on-the-Hill, Marston Doles, Birdingbury, Shuckborough and his own 'landings' at Fenny Compton.

The two sons, Cecil and Walter, worked for the family business up until the 1914-18 war, when they both served in the army. After the war the first of the "mechanical" vehicles were purchased and company changed its name to C. & W. Knight.

By now many contracts had been made and one of these resulted in an association with Midland Tar Distillers in 1925. This involved taking full barrels of tar from the M.T.D. depot in Banbury and delivering them to various depots throughout Oxfordshire, Warwickshire, Northamptonshire and Berkshire, returning with the empty barrels. Working with M.T.D. came the advent of bulk haulage and the first 1,000 gallon tank was "saddled" to one of the lorries.

A.J.Knight the Founder of C & W Knight

The fleet of vehicles soon grew both in number and in size. Stone was still being hauled and sold from various quarries around the area and the larger tankers would collect crude tar from the local gas works and take it to the works in Banbury to be refined.

C. & W. Knight moved into the third generation when Walter's' three sons; Keith, Gerald and Basil joined the firm and Reg Clark, who married Cecil's' daughter Sylvia, was also soon employed by the 'family business'.

Tanker Drivers: Walker Knight - Left, Keith Knight - 2nd Left & Cecil Knight - 2nd Right

   
   



This certificate was presented to A.J.Knight in 1907 for being a carrier to Banbury Market for upwards of twenty years.

     

Aggregate Trucks: Keith Knight - 2nd left, Walker Knight - 3rd left, Cecil Knight - 4th left,
Basil Knight - 2nd right & Gerald Knight - 1st Right

The Company has expanded over recent years with more vehicles acquisitions plus additional plant and machinery. It has secured a variety of contracts from removal of ashes from Warwick Power Station, the extraction of sand and gravel from a quarry at Faswley Park near Daventry and also reclaimed Rail Ballast for British Rail at sites in Didcot, Banbury, Honeybourne, Kings Norton and Leamington.

       
     

The Company currently employs 25 people and supplies a huge variety of materials such as decorative aggregates, hardcore, Topsoil and Tarmac to a wide range of customers from the general public to large multinational public companies. It sources and delivers products to almost the length and breadth of England and Wales. It operates its own stone crushing plant which is used to produce crushed aggregates in conjunction with stone masons such as 'Hornton Quarries Ltd.' with whom the Company have had a long association. It also hires out vehicles to remove site waste and provides tipping facilities for the waste materials.

     

Moving Ironstone in the 1970's

The Company prides itself on its level of customer care and are proud to say for that we are...

             

"COMMITTED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE".